Mental Health Protection and Psychological Risk Assessments
Investigate your organization, its structure, and teams. Identify potential psycho-social risks and work-related mental areas. Diagnose areas of strengths and weaknesses and analyze them on multiple levels. Discover the roots of problems and improve them. Establish a healthy company culture and encourage good mental health practices at your organization. We help you the entire way:
- Fully compliant with EU legislation and laws
- Clear Execution structure and a proven record of success
- Validated and reliable Project Engage Psychological Risk Assessment (PE-PRA) Questionnaire
- Expert Advisory Report give deep insights and multi-level analyses
- Real-life action management
- Official authorization to issue Healthy Place to Work 2020 Certification
Let`s be honest. We live in an increasingly complex and fast-changing time. Work itself transitioned from actual physical labor to more cognitive and mental challenges for the individual. Even though these changes lead to many advantages for society as a whole, many employees feel increasingly overwhelmed, pressured and stressed by their daily work requirements.
And this, of course, is bad - actually very bad. It can cause employees to be demotivated, disengaged or even feel burnt-out. Studies have shown that nowadays only 29 % of individuals are fully engaged in their work, whereas 52 % are not engaged and the remaining 19 % are actively disengaged. And this, of course, has huge negative effects for employees and organizations. It leads to a strong decrease in productivity, low organizational commitment, low levels of motivation and a decreased sense of well-being - just to mention a few. Therefore, in recent years many companies realized the importance of good mental health practices and to provide a low-stress environment for their employees. And they started to act.
Also, legislation started to strongly realize and address the issue. Within the European Union, 23 countries provide an acceptable standard of their statutory provisions concerning mental health protection and the consideration of psycho-social risks at work (EU Framework Directive 89/391). For example, Germany launched a mandatory program in 2013 for organizations to continuously monitor any potential stress indicators at the workplace. And, luckily for the employees, every company has to comply.
It has to be mentioned though that the instruments for the detection of the extent of work-related mental stresses and strains are extremely diverse. Within the 28 EU countries, there are 48 different tools listed and described ranging from questionnaires, interviews, group interviews to observational studies. Further, most tools only assess potential risks. And only very few use a multi-level analysis and - besides the risk-assessment - also include the structured development of measures against those risks. Our own validated and tested questionnaires and expert reports do exactly this. So that your company is on the safe side. Let us help you.
If not planned correctly, running a Psychological Risk Assessment can easily go south. It is important to involve the right experts, key responsible people from an early stage on and have the correct communication flow towards the employees. This is what we do. This is what we are good at. And this is why our clients love us.
Over many years we developed a strict, clear and successful schedule on how to perform. Because it makes the process easy, compliant and gives you control at every stage.
Especially nowadays it is important to show your team that you care. Engage your employees! Get the best out of your team ! Become the desired leader you want to be and boost productivity!
We help you achieve these goals. We listen. We care. We have the right tools. We have the knowledge and experience. And we execute. Period.
How it works
- The Mental Health Protection and Psychological Risk Assessment consist of 3+1 Phases.
- The Duration for Phases 1-3 takes between 3-6 working days (In-house consulting). The length depends on your company size, structure and desired depth of the project. This will be clarified on Day 1.
- Phase 4 - The Action Implementation Phase is optional. Depending on the results from the survey we help you with the implementation of the concrete Actions.
- We use our own developed Psychological Risk Assessment Questionnaire, which has been implemented in numerous organizations, municipalities and tested on tens of thousands of employees, The Project-Engage Psychological Risk Assessment Questionnaire (PE-PRAQ) is scientifically validated, reliable and fully compliant with EU legislation.
- We are psychologists and we take the confidentiality of our clients seriously. And of course, we are fully GDPR compliant.
- Depending on your business branch and organizational size Benchmarks are possible. This can be clarified at an initial meeting.
Phases 1 - 4
Phase 1 - Organisation
Day 1 - 2
Overall Goal: Structured Planning of the Assessment Process
A) INVESTIGATION OF THE COMPANY AND ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE
- Clarification of Key Responsible Individuals and Stakeholders
- Identification of Subgroups and Departments
- Clarification of available Resources
B) IDENTIFYING THE OBJECTS :
- Identifying the overall goal(s) of the Psychological Risk Assessment in consideration with available resources
- Clarification of the correct Communication Strategy towards the Employees
- Pre - Identification of Areas of Strength and Weaknesses
- Pre - Identification of Areas of Improvement (Possible Strategic Goals)
C) IDENTIFICATION AND CLARIFICATION OF TARGET POPULATION:
- Differentiation between Work Requirements (e.g. blue and white-collar)
- The decision on Feedback Strategy and Distribution of PE-PRA Questionnaire according to access possibilities of employees e.g. Online (Email /QR- Code / SMS / Link /... ) or Offline (Pen-and-Paper)
D) SUMMARY OF FINDINGS AND CHOOSING THE TESTING VARIABLES IN THE PE-PRA QUESTIONNAIRE
- Based on your Input we tailor and verify the Psychological Risk Assessment Questionnaire (PE-PRA) to your organization.
- The PRA Questionnaire consist of 4 main areas (in accordance with EU legislation):
- Work Environment (includes topics such as access to adequate working tools, potential negative Influence of environmental conditions, ergonomic design and working conditions, etc)
- Work Organization (includes topics such as communication flow; a clear definition of areas of responsibility and decision-making procedure; time pressure; competences, etc)
- Work Task (includes topics such as access to information; dealing with customers; ability to develop tools etc)
- Collaboration / Working Together (includes topics such as relationship to line manager; relationship to colleagues; trust; psychological Safety; etc)
E) ADDITIONAL OFFERINGS:
- Translation into different languages (needs to be clarified beforehand)
Phase 2 - Execution
Overall Goal: Adequate Implementation of the Assessments
A) COMMUNICATION TO EMPLOYEES
- Actual Survey Answering Process
- Explanation of the Purpose / Intention of the Assessment. Usually, we are present during the Implementation Phase to create the right communication flow to your employees. But, we also have Webinars and Materials available which can be distributed prior to the Execution Phase.
- Clarification of Questions / Comments
- Assignment of Contact Person(s), in case of questions arising after the Assessment
B) PROCESS MONITORING
- (If necessary) Implementing strategies to increase Participation Rate
- (If necessary) Follow-Ups and Reminders
- Ensuring GDPR Compliance
C) PRE- ANALYSIS / FIRST INSIGHT INTO UPCOMING RESULTS:
- Identification whether initial insight align with Stage 1 or whether changes might be needed in regards to Action Management (Phase 3)
D) ADDITIONAL OFFERINGS:
- Project-specific requirements
Phase 3 - Reporting and Action Management
Overall Goal: Analysis and Presentation of the Results
A) DATA ANALYSIS (BACK OFFICE)
- Descriptive Statistics
- Identification of (possible) correlations
- Multi-level analyses and Risk Assessment
- Interpretation of Results in each area
- Differentiation between the initial target groups
- Summary of Results and Recommendation with an in-depth psychological recommendation in the official Advisory Report.
B) SUGGESTED ACTION MANAGEMENT AND PRESENTATION:
- Management Reporting: Presentation of the results and Advisory Report with concrete action points. These are chosen on three criteria:
- Cost-Efficient Implementation (Actions needs to align with the available resources)
- Short-and Long-Term Effectiveness (Implementation of actions needed to lead to successful and measurable results)
- Rational and Realistic Implementation (Actions need to align with the organizational reality, employee needs, and job requirements)
C) PRESENTATION OF RESULTS TO EMPLOYEES (OPTIONAL) :
- Developing adequate communication strategy: How to communicate positive and negative results to the employees?
- Presentation of results and advisory report to Mid-Management and Employees
- Planning of concrete actions for each branch
- Internal and external communication strategy
D) PARTICIPATION CERTIFICATION
- After successful completion, our customers receive the official Participation Certificate
- Depending on the Results and Action Management, our customers receive the official Healthy Place to Work Certification
- Depending on the results, they can be combined with official Certification of Excellence
D) ADDITIONAL OFFERINGS:
- Communication strategy to employees
- Communication strategy to the public (e.g. Use of Certification to Increase Attractiveness as an Employer)
- Project-specific requirement
Phase 4 - Action Implementation
Overall Goal: Successfully Implementation of Concrete Actions
A) EXECUTION OF ACTIONS
This is a crucial part of a successful project. Keep in mind that people want to have their needs listened to. But more importantly, they want to see that concrete actions are implemented based on their feedback.
We support you here in various ways. Of course, this depends on the results from the assessment and your desired strategy.
- Psychological One-on-One / Group Interviews
- Leadership Training
- Crisis Intervention
- Individual and Team Assessments
- Workshops / Seminars (e.g. Psychological Safety at Work; Stress Reduction; Mental Health and Well-being; Team Motivation; Transformational Leadership; Employee Engagement and Competence; ...)
- Organization and Participation of Health Days (with Partners)
- Leadership and Development Programs
B) MEASURING THE EFFECTIVENESS OF IMPLEMENTED ACTIONS
- Follow ups
- Deep Dives and Pulses (after 3-6 months)
- Rating of Effectiveness for Employees
Get in touch
Project Engage - Mental Health Assessments
Dr. Josef Scheuerlein
(Clinical and Health Psychologist)